Mildmay offers a range of exciting and highly regarded placement and internship opportunities for local and international students and professionals.
Those on placement come for an agreed period of time to gain experience in a wide range of fields, working alongside Mildmay’s experts and professionals at its flagship facility at Lweza and in the 16 supported districts of central Uganda.
Benefits of a Placement at Mildmay
Interns and placements benefit from an established and structured placement programme which provides plenty of opportunities for individual mentorship and interaction which includes:
- Detailed orientation and review of objectives
- Working alongside diverse professionals
- Attachment to a specific expert mentor
- Experiential learning and teaching
- Short skills-based courses on site
- Weekly interdisciplinary team meetings
- Home care visits
- Partner organisation visits
- District visits
- Bi-weekly meetings with placement coordinator
- Certificate at successful end of placement/internship
Download Application Form
Which Placement Opportunity Is Best For You?
- 1. Pre-high school and high school programme.
Five days of highly interactive classroom training in life skills; one-on-one session on career guidance and goal setting; three days of self-improvement; special classes in catering, music and work placement.
- 2. Medical services programme
Working alongside a professional provider to gain hands-on experience and skills in care and treatment for:
- - HIV and other priority health concerns
- - Sexual reproductive health services (family planning, eMTCT, cervical cancer screening and treatment, STI treatment and management)
- - In–patient care of severely and terminally ill children
- - Nutrition rehabilitation
- - Physiotherapy
- - Occupational therapy
- - Diagnostic services.
- 3. The Health Systems strengthening package (HSS)
Gain experience and skills working in the field, alongside the district field teams to support development of projects on identified gaps, following a three-say course covering key concepts in HSS including theoretical underpinning and analysis of case studies and best practices.
- 4. The Adult Education programme
Students and professionals pursuing a career in adult education can gain vital skills through a placement in the training and education directorate, working alongside experienced trainers/lecturers teaching pre- and in-service students; marking; providing student support; developing curricula and strengthening lecturing skills.
- 5. The social work and counseling programme
With over 200 Mildmay supported community based organizations in central Uganda, placements/interns pursuing a career in counseling, social and community work are engaged in the behavioral and psychosocial care programme to work alongside professionals providing holistic social support services to patients and their families. Socio-economic support, home visits, adherence support, spiritual counseling, and legal aid are some of the services provided to meet the diverse and complex needs of clients.
- 6. Administration and support package
Placements in Mildmay’s administrative wing provide students and professionals with the opportunity to gain skills in public relations, ICT, human resource, finance and accounting, procurement and logistics, data management, M & E and research.
Download Application Form
How to Apply